1872: The public wharf is gazetted, and the first harbour master and pilot are appointed in 1874.
1882: The Gisborne Harbour Board is established by an act of Parliament.
1885: The Harbour Board begins construction on a breakwater to improve access to the port.
1914: Gisborne Port is thriving and has the highest value of export per capita in New Zealand. Exports include meat, fish and locally grown produce.
1927: The river training wall and diversion channel are constructed to separate the river from the Kaiti Basin.
1931: The Kaiti Basin Harbour is completed.
1960s: 60% of New Zealand’s maize crop is grown on the Gisborne plains and fishing is a growth industry.
1967: The Wharf 7 overseas terminal is opened. The project includes an additional wharf on the breakwater, and the dredging of a turning circle to enable bigger vessels to berth.
1997: A second overseas shipping wharf is opened (now known as wharf 8).
2003: Gisborne District Council sells the port asset to the Eastland Community Trust (now Trust Tairāwhiti), who rename it Eastland Port.
2009: Eastland Port exports one million tonnes for the first time in a calendar year.
2018: Eastland Port achieves a record-breaking three million tonnes of cargo exported in a year.
2023: Eastland Port reintroduces container shipping after the region was devastated by Cyclone Gabrielle. Major damage to the roading network meant a solution was needed to get containers out of the region.